lördag 23 mars 2013

Blood orange

I highly recommend you to buy fruits and vegetables depending of the season. Right now it's the season for buying the Italian blood oranges. They are sold cheap in nets right now.
These oranges are actually ordinary oranges. What makes them red in the meat and peel is the temperature differences between cold frosty late winter nights and warm days. The red colour is antocyanin an antioxidant  good for your immune system. So beat the winter flu with a glass of fresh pressed blood orange.

5 kommentarer:

  1. I usually buy them this time of year to make a blood orange and rhubarb shortcake (using rhubarb I've frozen from last spring). But I think making a juice from them would be much healthier than making a dessert! :D

    I had no idea they're red because of the weather though!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. The antocyanin prevents the fruits from being destroyed by the cold nights.
      Oh that dessert sounds so tasty!! Yum :)

      Radera
  2. Åh jag har aldrig provat att göra juice av dem, ska definitivt prova!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Looks delicious! They are a bit harder to find in Australia, but when I see them next, I'll get them to make a juice!

    SvaraRadera